Re: Adding FC5 to an XP computer -

On Fri, 2006-09-01 at 19:29 -0400, Bob Goodwin wrote:
> Rick Stevens wrote:

> >> I have installed fc5 from the dvd twice now to be certain I've done
> >> things correctly.  I believe I have.
> >>
> >> The fc5 install is on the second drive, /dev/sdb.  XP is factory [Dell]
> >> installed and I have no install disk.  XP is of little importance to me
> >> but I would like to retain it is possible.  Both drives are 80G.
> >>
> >> It should boot Linux from the mbr, /dev/sda on which XP resides,  grub
> >> is installed with FC5 designated as the default, but I never see a grub
> >> display at turn on, it simply boots XP right off without offering any
> >> alternative.
> >>
> >> What am I doing wrong?
> >>

> > grub should be installed in the MBR of the first SCSI disk (aka
> > /dev/sda).  That can be done by getting in to Linux and doing
> > "grub-install /dev/sda" as the root user.
> >
> > We need to know how you laid out the Linux stuff.  Is it all in one
> > partition or did you divvy it up?  Assuming you put it in separate
> > partitions, with /boot as partition 0 and / as partition 1,
> > this /boot/grub/grub.conf should work:
> >
> > #boot=/dev/sda
> > default=0
> > timeout=5
> > splashimage=(hd1,0)/boot/grub/splash.xpm.gz
> > hiddenmenu
> > title Fedora Core (2.6.17-1.2174_FC5)
> >         root (hd1,1)
> >         kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.17-1.2174_FC5 ro root=LABEL=/ rhgb
> > quiet max_luns=256
> >         initrd /boot/initrd-2.6.17-1.2174_FC5.img
> > title Windows XP
> > 	root (hd0,0)
> > 	makeactive
> > 	chainloader +1
> >
> > If Linux is all on a single partition, change the references above
> > that say "(hd1,1)" to "(hd1,0)"

> > - Rick Stevens, Senior Systems Engineer     rstevens@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx -
> > - VitalStream, Inc.                       http://www.vitalstream.com -
> > -                                                                    -
> > - Life:  That which happens while you search for the remote control. -
> >

> XP is installed on the original 80G h.d., untouched, still as Dell
> set it up.
>
> I installed a second 80G SATA drive and installed FC5 to that with
> the DVD, all pretty much as Fedora intended except where I told it to
> use the mbr and default to FC5 Linux.
>
> Grub looks pretty much as you specify.:
>
> sh-3.1# cat /boot/grub/grub.conf
>
> #boot=/dev/sda
> default=0
> timeout=5
> splashimage=(hd1,0)/grub/splash.xpm.gz
> hiddenmenu
> title Fedora Core (2.6.15-1.2054_FC5smp)
>        root (hd1,0)
>        kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.15-1.2054_FC5smp.img
> title Windows XP
>        rootnoverify (hd0,1)
>        chainloader +1
>
> [I typed this manually but it looks identical to the display
> on the Dell display.]
>
> It looks to me like Dell has somehow set aside about 3 gigs of
> [...]

If you are CERTAIN you did a "grub-install /dev/sda", then it may be
that the BIOS virus checker keeps overwriting grub with the Winblows
boot loader (it considers grub to be a virus).  You'll need to disable
that in the BIOS.

- Rick Stevens, Senior Systems Engineer     rstevens@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx -
-                   "The bogosity meter just pegged."                -