Re: Adding FC5 to an XP computer -

Rick Stevens wrote:
On Fri, 2006-09-01 at 17:13 -0400, Bob Goodwin wrote:
Bob Goodwin wrote:
Tim wrote:
Just quoting the salient points:

Bob Goodwin wrote:
XP Home is already installed and I have no way to reinstall it, no o/s
CD's are provided.
Tim:
If you want to keep the XP installation as-is, and the Linux completely
separate, I'd consider:
     2. Modifying the XP bootloader menu so that *it* is used to boot
        itself, or Linux.
3. Copying a file copy of the Linux bootblock onto the XP drive for
        that XP bootloader to work with.
Aaron Konstam:
Thhis used to be the wqay to do it in the RedHat Linux days. But for a
long time under Fedora grub does the job without any extra effort.
Ordinarily, I'd use GRUB to handle booting, too.  But the original
poster mentioned not having any Windows install discs.  It seems prudent
to avoid altering the Windows installation in that situation.
Especially if one isn't familiar with fixing things up, after a problem,
the hard way.
Prudent or not, the installation is now running with Grub and boot on the mbr.

If I break something I'll have to fix it somehow?

So far things have gone smoothly, there was physical space for the drive
and I was able to set bios to recognize the new second drive.  Hopefully
the rest will go as uneventfully ...

Bob Goodwin
I have installed fc5 from the dvd twice now to be certain I've done things correctly. I believe I have.

The fc5 install is on the second drive, /dev/sdb. XP is factory [Dell] installed and I have no install disk. XP is of little importance to me but I would like to retain it is possible. Both drives are 80G.

It should boot Linux from the mbr, /dev/sda on which XP resides, grub is installed with FC5 designated as the default, but I never see a grub display at turn on, it simply boots XP right off without offering any alternative.

What am I doing wrong?

grub should be installed in the MBR of the first SCSI disk (aka
/dev/sda).  That can be done by getting in to Linux and doing
"grub-install /dev/sda" as the root user.

We need to know how you laid out the Linux stuff.  Is it all in one
partition or did you divvy it up?  Assuming you put it in separate
partitions, with /boot as partition 0 and / as partition 1,
this /boot/grub/grub.conf should work:

#boot=/dev/sda
default=0
timeout=5
splashimage=(hd1,0)/boot/grub/splash.xpm.gz
hiddenmenu
title Fedora Core (2.6.17-1.2174_FC5)
        root (hd1,1)
        kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.17-1.2174_FC5 ro root=LABEL=/ rhgb
quiet max_luns=256
        initrd /boot/initrd-2.6.17-1.2174_FC5.img
title Windows XP
	root (hd0,0)
	makeactive
	chainloader +1

If Linux is all on a single partition, change the references above
that say "(hd1,1)" to "(hd1,0)"

- Rick Stevens, Senior Systems Engineer     rstevens@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx -
- Life:  That which happens while you search for the remote control. -

XP is installed on the original 80G h.d., untouched, still as Dell
set it up.

I installed a second 80G SATA drive and installed FC5 to that with
the DVD, all pretty much as Fedora intended except where I told it to
use the mbr and default to FC5 Linux.

Grub looks pretty much as you specify.:

sh-3.1# cat /boot/grub/grub.conf

#boot=/dev/sda
default=0
timeout=5
splashimage=(hd1,0)/grub/splash.xpm.gz
hiddenmenu
title Fedora Core (2.6.15-1.2054_FC5smp)
      root (hd1,0)
      kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.15-1.2054_FC5smp.img
title Windows XP
      rootnoverify (hd0,1)
      chainloader +1

[I typed this manually but it looks identical to the display
on the Dell display.]

It looks to me like Dell has somehow set aside about 3 gigs of
the 80 apparently to provide a means of reinstalling Windows? I don't know it that has any effect on this problem?

Thanks.

Bob Goodwin