Re: Port Redirection in Fedora

R. G. Newbury wrote:
> I ran OS/2 for many years, although I had some DOS programs which I
> continued to use inside a VDM (Virtual Display Monitor).
> A DOS VDM could not actually access the hardware.
>
> I would set up a print under OS/2 to 'talk' to LPT1. Then I could set up
> a virtual printer, the same as real one, aimed at LPT2, and then
> re-direct the LPT2 output to LPT1.
>
> The DOS program thought that it was talking to LPT2, as it was actually
> dealing with the re-direction code.
>
> The same thing can be done under Windows with a program called RedMon,
> so that you can 'print' to Ghostscript and get PDF output.
>
> My question.
>
> How do you re-direct output from a virtual port to a real printer spool,
> under Fedora?
>
> Geoff

I think you would be better off explaining what you are trying to
do, because there may be another method that will do what you want
under Linux. It is possible to set up more then one printer
configuration under Linux that use the same physical printer. It is
unusual for applications to talk directly to printers. They normally
talk to something like lpr or CUPS that take care of talking to the
printer.

Mikkel