Re: Crappy HDDs Killing Computers

Tim:
> > Other things that kill drives can be:  Vibrations, they should be bolted
> > firmly in place, and nothing else should vibrate the chassis.  Tortional
> > stress - you don't want a chassis that twists or squashes a drive.

jdow:
> If you are in a high vibration environment the drives really should be
> mounted in shock mounts if you have the option. Solidly mounting them
> to the chassis simply conveys the shocks directly to the delicate
> insides of the drives.

Oh definitely.  Though sometimes you put a drive into a situation where
you never expected vibration to be an issue:

I've had a fan go wonky in a box last week that had the whole chassis
thrumming along with it, to the point where the drive started
misbehaving.  Luckily, in this case, all it did was show up a fault in a
poor hard drive power plug - one of those crappy 4-pin molex plastic
connectors - a loose gripping contact.  But when you consider the tiny
dimensions of the head skimming above the platter, continuous (and
otherwise) small vibrations in the chassis can be a significant thing.

--
(Currently running FC4, in case that's important to the thread)

I read messages from the public lists.