Re: FC5 Installation Killing Computers

Robin Laing:
>> Depending on the hardware, running Linux on it can push cheap hardware
>> past it's limits.
>>
>> Multitasking/mutithreading can load a system more than just the old
>> windows way of doing things.  This causes the processors and power
>> supplies to work harder.

I've read this before, but I find it hard to believe.  I regularly see
Windows systems where the CPU maxes out a lot, doing ordinary tasks.
I've seen many where the resources are used almost to the full almost
all of the time.  But on the same hardware using Linux, instead, I've
usually found that it spends most of its time being idle.  Sure, you can
have some heavy intensive tasks, but that doesn't tend be the normal way
that Linux runs.

>> FC5 won't be burning the computers out but it could be showing the
>> weaknesses of the hardware.

As could any strenuous task.

Hex Star:
> I dunno...I saw another thread here stating that FC5 was killing HDs
> by restarting them repeatedly until they died so this does seem like
> it could be possible...

If a hard drive is failing, and sits there going "click whirr whump",
repeatedly, it's the hard drive that does that all by itself.  You can
demonstrate this by powering up such a drive without any operating
system running.

If you're referring to a system that parks a drive when it's not being
used for a while (sleeping/hibernating/etc.), I've not seen Linux do
that by default, but it's a default behaviour for a few versions of
Windows.

> makes me glad I'm not thinking of using FC5 nor currently using it and
> such a distro which has now had multiple posts with regards to it
> killing various computer components certainly is not good for this
> distros reputation nor Linuxes as a whole, the developers of this
> distro might want to make fixing these issues a rather high priority
> if they care about FCs reputation at all...

This thread has the hallmarks of troll FUDing (questionable claims,
dubious warnings, denigrations, scaremongering, etc.).

--
(Currently running FC4, in case that's important to the thread)

I read messages from the public lists.