Re: Crappy HDDs Killing Computers

Tim wrote:
On Tue, 2006-08-22 at 13:04 +0100, Andy Green wrote:
After three hours on the different powersupply one of the drives (with
no SATA connection) has spontaneously started clunking every few
seconds and has twice spun down and up again.  When I picked it up to
read the label it stopped clunking briefly then resumed.

Just for interest's sake:

Was it mounted somewhere with decent air flow for heat dissipation?

No, it was resting on top of a plastic box in a room during this test. But on picking up the HDD it only felt quite warm, I could hold it easily.

While in the case there were multiple fans and it was in the appropriate slot. Further the second HDD to fail did not last out a week in the same position that the first lasted most of year.

Was it bolted to a metal chassis that would help with heat dissipation?
Was it grounded?

Yeah it was via a Class 1 PSU where 0V == Earth Ground.

Were anti-static precautions taken during handling?

No, I have never had a failure of anything I could put down to static, and that includes unmounted chips much more sensitive than a HDD IO connector. Certainly when it was in the case there is zero chance of static causing the trouble since the case is earthed metal and the HDD does not come to the outside world.

Recently I took a design of mine through testing for compliance to various standards, and it survived 16kV air discharges and one directly to the case by accident, without special precautions. In a climate like England, static is not a real consideration with modern ICs.

-Andy