Re: What to do when a command isn't found?

On Thu, 2006-07-06 at 20:50 +0200, nigel henry wrote:
> It would make sense for /bin /sbin /usr/bin /usr/sbin being in ~/.bash_profile
> as default. /usr/local/bin, and /usr/local/sbin probably are not neccessary,
> as these would only be there from user installed source tarballs.
>
> There do not seem to be any security issues here, as any user can add pathways
> to ~/.bash_profile, and they can only read the info, not change it.

There probably still are things that a user can do some harm with sbin
commands, so I wouldn't be too carefree about it.  On a single user
system it probably isn't too much of a problem, beyond having to fix up
what went wrong (though they'd have to know what to do).  Keeping them
out of the path helps against accidents and following bad advice.

On a multi-user system there's more potential to cause a problem.
Putting such commands in sbin sub-directories makes it less likely for
them to be used accidentally.  And it can be a method of making it next
to impossible for unauthorised users to use those commands.

I read messages from the public lists.