Re: hostname and dhcp question

On Sun, 2006-07-02 at 14:47 +0800, Deepak Shrestha wrote:
> Sorry for troubling you guys. Now I got the point that linux machine
> doesn't look for NetBIOS name to resolve the host. Now I had my IP of
> web server fixed and set up the hosts names in my linux machine and
> its working fine. As far as I am concerned, my problem is solved for
> now but it left me with some confusion about my previous experience
> with fedora.
>
> Before I tried fedora 4 as web server also where samba is also
> running. In this setup all of my windows machine can locate the server
> and display webpage from fedora 4 machine. This setup was toally
> dynamic IP address based. In that case I is "Samba working behind the
> scene to resolve the hostname from NetBIOS name?"
>
> Now I have fedora 5 using as client with Samba running and can locate
> shares in the different windows machines but can't display the webpage
> in windows machine. Isn't that Samba should take care in this scenario
> also as in previous case?

Well, Deepak, is there a WINS server on your network?

I believe that if you are running a workgroup (i.e. no NT or AD domain),
your Windows systems will still be able to find the web server using
NetBIOS name resolution, but your Fedora system running Samba will not
be able to -- unless you have a WINS server configured.

The simplest way to get your Fedora client to resolve names on your
network is to use the hosts file which I believe you have already
created for your other Windows systems. Backup your original /etc/hosts
file, then append the various entries for your computers on your
network, to the same file (do NOT delete the localhost line
in /etc/hosts, or you will not be able to launch X windows).

--
Pascal Chong
email:  chongym@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

"La science ne connaît pas de frontière parce que la connaissance
appartient à l’humanité. et que c’est la flamme qui illumine le monde."

-- Louis Pasteur