Re: CUPS printer drivers -

Tim wrote:
On Fri, 2006-06-23 at 01:43 +0100, Jonathan Underwood wrote:
system-config-printer is quite broken

In general, I would agree.  And just why does it sit there churning for
a minute or so, when you try to save a configuration?

However,

using the cups web interface tool for configuration has been more
succesful for me (go to localhost:631 in a web browser).

I found with some HP inkjet printer that I ended up not being able to
print from web browsers, if I set things up that way.  It'd bomb out
with a useless error message (you might want to check why it aborted).
Though, when set up via the Gnome tool, all was well.

Also, I noticed the difference between the test pages between being set
up one way or the other.  The CUPS test page you'd get once set up via
the Gnome tool, however you initiated printing the test page (via that
tool, or the CUPS local webserver), had finer detail in the colours and
grayscales, and was a slightly different sized page.

       I would like to make the complete list of drivers as obtained
       from KDE, and probably Gnome, available to the Cups Admin
       process.  I began looking through the cups files last evening
       but have not found where they are filed yet?  I always use cups
       but have found that I must set the driver from KDE.

       After following that routine I was able to print an 83 page
       "pool Maintenance" book yesterday using both printers
       simultaneously,  each printing a group of different pages.  The
       HP6840 is significantly faster than the Epson C62, perhaps by a
       factor of two in b&w anyway!  I could not see any difference in
       the printing that resulted, both looked perfect to me.

       Any suggestion on how to make the complete driver list available
       to cups admin?  Where is it?

       Thanks.

       Bob Goodwin