Re: FC4 or FC5

On Wed, 21 Jun 2006 00:50:12 -0500
Les Mikesell <lesmikesell@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Solutions can only apply to new projects or ones where
> all the copyright holders are known.

Okay, so there isn't much reason to keep going on and on about
the GPL license then is there.  Especially here as this lists
is mostly users rather than developers wondering how to license
their next project.

> Perl has the right idea with the dual license.  It's gpl'd
> if you need it to be and yet not subject to the restrictions
> if you don't want them.  And Larry Wall is brilliant for
> recognizing the need for that and coming up with a way
> to avoid fanaticism.

There is no fanaticism needed to enjoy the benefits of the GPL.
But I agree with you there are fanatics of the GPL license.  And
there are fanatic proponents of propietary licenses.  There are
even to my surprise fanatic proponents of the perl license!!  But
we're much better off listening to the moderates who can accept
all the licenses and respect the wishes of their authors.

Sean