Re: FC4 or FC5

On Fri, 16 Jun 2006 18:58:38 -0700 (PDT)
BRUCE STANLEY <bruce.stanley@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>  Yes it is quite evident that you like the GPL as it is, from all of your post.
>  However, please do not recommend it to people who need hardware
>  drivers on Laptops (as an example) that do not exist because the GPL
>  Kernal Devs have decided to change Linux (future changes comming)
>  so that they will not function with anything but GPL drivers.
>
>  Suse Linux 10.1 is now distributed without any non-GPL drivers
>  where as in 10.0, many were included so that many Laptops and
>  ALL of their hardware (WIFI, Modems) worked.
>
>  I think that the frustration for many is that we were hoping that Linux
>  would really evolve into a platform that was a fully functional alternative
>  to Windows.  Some Distros were getting close.  Now it looks like it will
>  be a very, very, very..., long time before the dawn.... if ever....

Hey Bruce,

There are some laptops with pretty much full GPL support already.  Sometimes
with an omissions for certain pieces of hardware like winmodems or 3d chipsets.
But for whatever reason i'm a bit more optimistic than you seem to be about the
future of GPL hardware support, especially in the long term.  Time will tell.

Cheers,
Sean