Re: FC4 or FC5

On Sun, 18 Jun 2006 12:23:37 -0500
Les Mikesell <lesmikesell@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I don't think a lot of people understand the effect demonstrated
> by the RIPEM example.  I don't think a lot of people understand
> the potential for new patent cases to hopelessly tie up any GPL
> code in the same 'work as a whole'.

It's clear that you don't understand a lot of things.  At every
turn in this thread your assumptions and examples have been shown
to be flawed.  Most recently you put forth the notion that copyright
had nothing to do with the equation and when confronted with the
fact that you were again wrong you just ignored the truth AGAIN.
The RIPEM situation is an example of not much more than your
ignorance, misunderstandings and refusal to reexamine your ideas.

> The history of objective-C validates that opinion.  And is
> counted by some as a victory for the GPL.  If I were Steve
> Balmer I'd make an effort to publicize how that worked out.

Bullshit.  Your opinion is just as wrong as most of the assertions
that you've put forth to try to support it.

> They aren't when one of the licenses says that the 'work
> as a whole' must be distributed under that same license
> with no additional restrictions.  If the patent holder
> insists on additional restrictions (which is his right and
> would be the usual case), then no part of a 'work as a whole'
> using that technology may be under the GPL.

Les, please go do some thinking and attempt to understand the
GPL.  It seems no matter how many times you've been shown
to be incorrect you just keep repeating this STUPID "work
as a whole" mantra.  It suggest that you should really be force
to wear oven mitts when near a keyboard.

> Nvidia claims that their contracts with the chip vendors prohibits
> them from releasing details or a GPL'd driver.  If it is possible
> to put a license-agnostic layer between components that the
> FSF can't threaten with their interpretations of 'work as a whole'
> and without a big performance hit, the issue might go away.

People argue about all kinds of things.  It doesn't change anything
about the nature, intent and legality of the GPL license.  It is what
it is, DEAL WITH IT or go AWAY, preferably both.

Sean