Re: FC4 or FC5

On Mon, 2006-06-19 at 18:15 -0700, jdow wrote:
> (Oops Try again)
>
> From: "Sean" <seanlkml@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
> >

> >> And some complications of derivative works covered by the GPL:
> >> http://www.law.washington.edu/lct/swp/Law/derivative.html
> >
> > For future googlers who may like to know, this URL from
> > the above site:
> >
> >  http://www.law.washington.edu/lct/swp/about.html
> >
> > Lists as a site contributor:
> >
> >  Jane Winn, J.D. (Faculty Advisor)
> >  Professor of Law
> >  Shidler Center for Law and Technology
> >  University of Washington School of Law
> >
> > Who as stated is part of the Shindler Center:
> >
> >  http://www.law.washington.edu/LCT/about/index.html
> >
> > Which states:
> >
> >  ---
> >  The Shidler Center for Law, Commerce & Technology is named after Roger
> >  Shidler, one of the founding members of Shidler McBroom & Gates which
> >  later became the firm of Preston Gates & Ellis. He was a pioneer in the
> >  area of technology law and innovation. For more information on the
> >  history of the firm Roger Shidler helped found, please visit the Preston
> >  Gates & Ellis website.
> >  ---
> >
> > And I have been informed by a kind soul who was following this thread that
> >
> >  -- Preston Gates mentioned above is Bill Gate's father. --
> >
> > Draw your own conclusions.
>
> Tsk Tsk, Sean, are we seeing a case of, "If you cannot refute their
> statements with facts assassinate their character?"
----
Drawing the connection to being related to Bill Gates, Microsoft Founder
and CEO to be character assassination sort of intimates that there is
something untoward about a connection to Bill Gates.

Now if we wanted to do character assassination, he would have mentioned
that it is the same firm that employed Jack Abramoff, who is indelibly
linked to payoffs to Bush Executive Department Appointees, Congressmen
and Senators and has also pled guilty on several accounts relating to
fraud and corruption.

That would be character assassination, well maybe would be character
assassination except that it's factual.

All that notwithstanding, IP attorneys can be aggressive with opinion
but it is companies and thus the consumer that ultimately pays their
bills and that is perhaps the best argument for GPL since one of the
intentions of the GPL was to level the playing field and permit the
software consumer to own software to the point where they aren't subject
to arbitrary corporate whim or obtuse IP attorneys bills.

Craig