Re: FC4 or FC5

On Mon, 2006-06-19 at 16:29 -0400, Sean wrote:

> > If you are a purist who would like to pretend that no code under other
> > licenses exists or is needed, I can respect that point of view.  However
> > it seems hypocritical to say if you've ever downloaded a plugin, module,
> > or other component with code covered by different restrictions (an mp3
> > plugin, for example) that might load into the same process as a GPL'd
> > component or recommended that others do so in violation of that license
> > you claim to support.
>
> You are much more hypocritical to use GPL software if you don't agree with
> its license.

Not at all.  It explicitly permits use without agreeing to anything.
And since I'm not interested in distributing software I couldn't
do anything in disagreement with it anyway.  What it does prohibit is
the distribution of those plugins and components - well sort-of.

Paid quote from an FSF lawyer on
http://gstreamer.freedesktop.org/data/doc/gstreamer/head/faq/html/chapter-legal.html#legal-distribute-three

 "We will not advise you that it would be safe to do so..."

--
  Les Mikesell
   lesmikesell@xxxxxxxxx