Re: Locked up again! What can I check- I'm on another box

HUMMMMMMMMM, That *is* interesting: I have round cables and they are clearly marked. Master is at the *end* of the cable, the Slave is in the *middle*. I too had wondered about this and called some tech company about where the master and slave are on a ribbon cable and was told the Master is *ALWAYS* at the *end*, and the Slave is *ALWAYS* in the *middle*.. Dotan *might* want to try it both ways, he might also want to check that the *red stripe* is connected to pin #1.

The other thing he should check is the drive configuration. *Most* drives will allow you to select either Master, Slave, or [ I think ] Select somethingoeranother. The Select somethingoranother is *suppose* to allow you to put the drive and any part of the cable, but it is far better if he configures it so that the drive is jumpered as either a Master or a Slave and put at the correct (or so I have been told) position on the cable ie either at the end (Master) , or in the middle (Slave). I was just looking at ta strange drive ( a Maxtor Model 71336A ) and it is configured *only* for a Master drive, and you can't change it ie. your stuck using it as a Master, and the second drive will have to be configured as a slave. Supposedly there is a jumper somewhere on it (J20), but I can't find it, so it is probably hardwired. Generally I have found that it works best -- if you have two IDE mobo connectors ( 4 IDE devices ) is to put *one* HD on each connector as a a master drive and make the DVD, floppy, ZIP drive, etc, the Slaves.

Hope this helps.

Bob

Hi Dotan. No. If you only have 1 drive which is jumpered as master, you
connect the connector at the end of the ribbon cable to the drive. If you
have 2 drives, jumpered as master and slaves, the master drive is connected
to the middle connector on the ribbon cable, and the slave drive uses the
connector at the end of the ribbon. I have had problems with cabling.

I have one fixed harddrive, and a harddrive caddy in a 5 1/4 slot on the front
of the machine, and have had to use an extension ribbon cable to connect to
the harddrive caddy from the middle connection on the main ribbon cable. The drives that use the caddy are all master, as they are the drives with OS's on
them. The fixed drive is just for data, and so is the slave.

Nigel.