Re: Bootup problem after installing Fedora Core_5 2006

On Sun, 2006-06-11 at 22:32 +1000, Claude Yu wrote:
> Well I probably know what is happening to my problem.  It is the
> memory size insufficient to install and run X-Window in F-Core 5
> during FC-5 installation.  Mine has only 128Mb but the min.
> requirement is 256MB for Graphical mode. Isn't it correct?

I don't recall the FC5 requirements, but FC4 *could* run in 128 megs,
albeit painfully.  But the graphical installation routine actually
required more memory than the completed installed system.

i.e. You could install, in text mode, a system that would *later* run in
full graphical mode.

> As advised,  it is not practical to force installation of X-Window
> until I upgrade my memory to 256Mb (my desktop's max limit) and
> reinstall FC-5 all over again.

Check the release notes for what you need to *run* the system.  If you
have installed a working non-X system, and your system has enough grunt
to run Linux with X, you don't need to re-install from scratch to add X
to it, just install the extra bits.

I suspect that you can run FC5 with 128 megs, but you probably want to
use a lighter windowing system than Gnome or KDE.

> However, logically tells,  why it kept prompting for :
>
> Localhost logic:
> password:
>
> instead of booting up in text mode gracefully,

It has booted into text mode.  That *is* text mode.  The computer boots
up, and waits for you to log in.

If you're going to use the PC in text mode, log in as yourself.  If
you're going to configure things further, including adding a user
account for yourself, log in as the root user.

By the sound of this discussion, I think you need to read some
introductary guides for using Linux.  It sounds like you've jumped in
the deep end a little early.

I read messages from the public lists.