Re: Bootup problem after installing Fedora Core_5 2006

On Sunday 11 June 2006 14:32, Claude Yu wrote:
> Hi Tim,
>
> your message quoted:
> ---------------------------------
> Well, if you installed an X server, you can log in and type the startx
> command.  If that works, you know that you'll be able to change your
> inittab to always boot up in run level 5 (where X is run automatically).
> If not, you'll have to install or get X working first.
>
> The /etc/inittab file has a line with id:3:initdefault near the start,
> the number is the default initial run level.  Once you'd got X running,
> you'd change that 3 to a 5.  You need to be the root user to edit that
> file.
>
> (Currently running FC4, occasionally trying FC5.)

> Well I probably know what is happening to my problem.  It is the memory
> size insufficient to install and run X-Window in F-Core 5 during FC-5
> installation.  Mine has only 128Mb but the min. requirement is 256MB for
> Graphical mode. Isn't it correct?  Therefore,
> I remembered during installation it mentioned not enough
> memory to run graphical mode and so I can't see X-server
> or X-window sitting else where in the  system.
> As advised,  it is not practical to force installation of X-Window
> until I upgrade my memory to 256Mb(my desktop's max limit) and reinstall
> FC-5 all over again. Pls correct me if i am wrong?
>
> However, logically tells,  why it kept prompting for :
>
> Localhost logic:
> password:
>

> instead of booting up in text mode gracefully, and now I really can't go
> into text mode with that prompt.   What info should i enter in order to
> skip it or pass it. I have no clue....
>

> Best regards,
>

> Claude YU

Hi Claude.  I think you are short of memory. But saying that, I have FC5
running on an old Gateway 500 (P111 Katmai) with 256MB RAM, and Gkrellm says
that there is 192MB free, and thats with KDE desktop up and running.

Back to your problem. The "linux text" install for FC5, when the install has
finished, leaves you in text mode "init3", as Tim has said. When you reboot,
the machine boots as init 3, and gives you the prompt that you see, asking
for a password. This is asking for a root password, the one you have already
chosen during the install. Type your password, press enter, and now you are
logged into the machine as root. This is not much help at the moment, unless
you love working the machine in text mode.

If you had been able to do a graphical install (which I wasn't able to) , upon
rebooting ( as long as there are no problems with FC5 and your graphics card
driver, as I've had) you would now be going through the post install stuff,
like adding a user name and password, and some less important stuff.

When you eventually get a desktop, Gnome, KDE, from a text install, you do not
get the post install stuff running, so I usually add my user name and
password while in text mode.

Right. You have rebooted, have the text login, and have entered your root
password, and are logged in as root. To create a user name and password do
the following. Type.

adduser user-name   (replacing user-name for the name you want to use)
passwd user-name   (using your new username here)
Now you will be asked to choose a password for you new username, and to repeat
the password.

You now have a user name and password, but are still logged in as root. Type
exit and hit enter. You are now logged out from root, and should just have a
login prompt showing. Type in your new user name, hit enter. Type in your new
user name password, hit enter. Type, startx , and let us know what happens.

Nigel.