Re: kde in extras - the devel discussion

At 03:51 08/06/2006, you wrote:

On 6/7/06, Tim <ignored_mailbox@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Arthur PembertonL
> Of course it is different:
> 1) Buy a CD from a vendor:
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Distribution/LocalVendors
> 2) A current FC user passes on the already burnt CDs to a newbie friend

I don't think that with Fedora you're going to get a one CD installation
of a useful computer system.  A one DVD installation, perhaps.  But
getting a disc is a different kettle of fish than downloading.

>> Just make the first disc small, so those wanting a real core-only system
>> can have it.  Then you can build up from other discs, downloaded files,
>> or whatever...

> Just out of curiousity, what do you consider to be a core-only system,
> or is there an objective definition so that I can better understand
> what you mean when you say that.

That's going to be a matter of opinion.  But to me, a really bare bones
core isn't going to install X (or parts of it), a plethora of graphics
manipulation libraries, etc.  As the last minimal installation I tried
of either FC3 or FC4 did.

I'd say that a really bare bones system just boots and gives you a
command shell where you can add anything, and everything, else that you
want.

A while back there was a long, long....... thread that went on and on with arguments about having a button to install absolutely everything, I think. Wasn't it something similar that started up again last week but stopped with my remark about the bowl of petunias?

Anyway, the idea just occurred to me to have a button to do the opposite. When I installed FC4 to run as a headless subversion server, I installed the absolute minimum. I think I probably only ticked to install apache and set the firewall to open up to ssh, and got away with only using the first installation CD. The rest of it was set up by logging in by ssh and using yum install to get subversion, apcupsd etc installed.

So, how about, for those of us who like me don't claim to be experts but do at least know a little bit about what we're doing, having a "Minimum Install" button that does just that - sets up and formats the disk partitions, installs the kernel, yum, iptables and other absolute bare essentials? All of these would be on disk 1, so anybody doing minimum installs of bare bones systems would never need to download the ISO files of disks 2-x. Everybody else who needs to set up office desktop systems would carry on getting all of the ISO files as we do now.

BTW I prefer KDE.

Dave Fletcher