Re: kde in extras - the devel discussion

On Wed, 2006-06-07 at 12:39 +0100, Tony Molloy wrote:
> All very well for experienced users and for those with high speed
> connections for the downloads.

No different from the boat they're in now.  Download Core ISO, and three
others.  Still a lot to download, whether KDE is on the first or last
disc.  Likewise for Gnome, OpenOffice.org, et al.

> However I can see new users having major problems. That is unless it's
> made "very very" easy to install other packages and groups of packages.
> Remember a new user doesn't want to have to learn about core and extras
> and the difference. Nor does she/he want to know all about yum. They just
> want a system that works "out of the box".

Done properly, it shouldn't be any worse than having to install from
more than one disc, as we already do.

We already have a small "rescue" disc.  People can get that, or leave
it, as they want to.  I think the first install disc should be just as
small.  Enough to make a working system, enough to be able to add extra
stuff *from* as system installed by that disc, and enough to start an
installation with that disc and insert others as needs be (as we do
now).

Just make the first disc small, so those wanting a real core-only system
can have it.  Then you can build up from other discs, downloaded files,
or whatever...

I read messages from the public lists.