Re: fc5: install everything?

On Tue, May 09, 2006 at 03:41:15PM +0200, Ralf Corsepius wrote:

> > > You never need to explicitly ask for libraries unless you are a
> > > developer. yum will find them.

Really? yum install vmd? yum install gamess? yum install gromacs? yum install namd?
yum install mmtk? yum install openbabel? Funny, yum finds jack.

> > And for your users that *are* developers???
>
> They *know* what they need.

You're engaging in wishful thinking. I'm not a developer, yet I fix
bugs and build things from source when it's not in the depositories.
I don't have the time to resolve the dependencies manually, hence
I need a system where almost everything is already there. There's
no sharp boundary between users and developers in FLOSSland. Get used to it.

You're still not getting it. I'm a yet another user asking for an option which
used to be there. Don't tell me what I need. I know far better what I need
that you do. I don't claim to speak for you, either.

If developers don't care enough to occasionally send someone to skim the list
archives for user-reported design flaws and improvement suggestions I have
no trouble with that. I have several alternative distros and, yes,
proprietary systems to turn to. The usage pattern comes and goes.
FC5 is reasonably close to a useful system as RatHed goes, but it's
still a far shot to Win XP or OS X. The UI being hokey and slow is the
largest culprit -- I'm hanging in for GL hardware acceleration.
Maybe it will be enough, maybe I need a faster CPU.
Long-term, kick out X and give us something rendering as cleanly as ClearType,
and it's getting close to an ideal system. Maybe another 5-10 years,
and we'll be there.