Re: Yum update on FC5 install new kernel but don't update grub.conf

On Tue, 2006-05-09 at 08:48 -0500, Gene Heskett wrote:
> Robert Locke wrote:
> > On Tue, 2006-05-09 at 07:50 -0500, Gene Heskett wrote:
> > <snip>
> >
> >> So my question then is: Can yum be told to dl and install the new
> >> kernels but leave grub.conf alone, and not remove the older kernel?
> >>

> > I don't believe this is yum doing this.  I believe it is the post script
> > inside the rpm package that is updating grub.conf....  So even if you
> > were to manually download the kernel package and use rpm -i to install
> > it, it would still update grub.conf.....
> >
> > --Rob
> >

> Yuk...  Ok, can I have yum dl, but not install (kernels only), and I'll
> use mc to unpack & move the files?

Well, up2date could do that, download only, but not sure if yum has an
option for that or not.  I do know there is an option to "keepcache"
that might allow you to keep the packages to install on other machines.

Oh, and as you saw in other places in the thread the installonlyn plugin
is the one limiting the number of installed kernels.  I think this one
came in to being when there was another package (like hal or udev) that
would only work on the newer kernels, not the older ones and required us
to manually remove the old kernels since most of us never bothered to
clean up.

--Rob