Re: Mozilla Suite vs. Firefox

Aaron Konstam wrote:
On Fri, 2006-05-05 at 10:32 -0600, Robin Laing wrote:

Arthur Pemberton wrote:

Mozillas settings are far worse, a whole lot of things spread about all
over the place.

That may be so, but I prefer them to the setup of Firefox. I am
learning in this thread that I am not alone.

I used Mozilla until a few weeks ago. I tried FF with the Tab Mix Plus Extension and I won't look back at Mozilla. At least is a page decides to crash my browser, it doesn't take Thunderbird down. Less crashes in FF as well.

With a couple of tweaks to about:config, FF is much faster as well.

I do agree with many of the posters, the configuration settings should be clearer. I miss the cookie manager in the Tools menu most of all.

As with using any tool, it takes some time to adapt. I am very happy with FF. :)

The best that could happen is for FF/TB and Mozilla to work towards the same code base. There are good things in both.

--
Robin Laing

Ok, I have to jusp in. One aspect of firefox is a real mess. That is the
enabling of pluins. Sometimes it is a matter of getting the plugin in
to /usr/lib/firefox--x/plugins. Sometimes it isd a matter of changing
mozzpluggerrc. In any case what you get when you go to about:pluggins
has no relationship to the pluggin list you get when you go to edit->
prperties-> Downloads. I have a FC5 machine with no mozpluggerrc in
which video and audio works perfectly, and I have another machine that I
have diddled around with and video works but audio works only from
certain sources.

Its a mess. I liked the interface where you told the browser that input
of a certain mime-type with a particular extension should be processed
by this application. Where has that clarity gone.

plugger/mozplugger has been a headache for me in the past. If you get it working correctly, it is great, otherwise it screws you up. I have experienced this since I first ran into it oh so many versions of Linux ago. To be fair, it isn't part of Mozilla but an addon. I prefer not to use it.

yum remove mozplugger

--
Robin Laing