Re: Mozilla Suite vs. Firefox

Tim wrote:
On Thu, 2006-05-04 at 19:31 -0400, Jim Cornette wrote:
For Firefox, the logic for setting preferences is not intuitive to me and the defaults are horrible. It downloads to the desktop by default and I had to hunt for where the desired preference was located.

I agree that desktop is a silly choice, but how hard was it to find the
entire section labelled as "downloads" in the *only* preferences window
Firefox has, and where the first thing it asks is where to download
files to?

While you're there, or with *any* other browser, you really should go
through and configure the entire thing properly.  For instance, many
browsers come set claiming that you only accept US English (never mind
what your locale setttings are for therest of the PC).  Then there's
settings for how much drive space you waste with the cache (generally
far too much), and plenty of other settings that the defaults aren't
always such brilliant choices.

Mozillas settings are far worse, a whole lot of things spread about all
over the place.

The default settings probably can be improved a lot for sanity and for languages other than English. I adopted Mozilla usage while RHL was still only shipping Netscape 4.7.x series browsers. I grew into whatever settings were setup as default and wrestled out all of the then present MIME related problems.

With Firefox and seamonkey/mozilla departing ways for certain settings, a more sane set of defaults or a more obvious configuration tool can be incorporated into the browsers.

Jim

--
Obviously I was either onto something, or on something.
             -- Larry Wall on the creation of Perl