Re: NetworkManager update

On Thursday 27 April 2006 22:17, Matthew Saltzman wrote:
>On Thu, 27 Apr 2006, Gene Heskett wrote:
>> I've been trolling that list for nearly a week now, and haven't
>> found anyone who understands the problem well enough to ask me have
>> you done this, and that, and this other thing?  The assumption is
>> that it Just Works(TM) and it doesn't with my hardware.
>
>One more time: If you aren't getting satisfaction from this list, take
>your question to networkmanager-list@xxxxxxxxx (subscribe at
>mail.gnome.org).  The people who read that list will know what
> questions to ask and are in the best position to either help you out
> or fix bugs in NM.
>
>What's so objectionable about that?

Matthew, I just stated that I've been subbed to that list for several
days.  And I'm not finding any magical pixie dust there either.  Lets
face it, I'm walking on ground thats not been tread on before, and the
ability to get clear back down to the basics in starting to solve a
problem seems to have gotten lost in the assumption that 'everyone
knows about that' when we don't always.  And I don't think I'm being
out of line all that much when I do attempt to draw a picture of what
I've got hardware wise, and describe what isn't working without
spending 4 paragraphs per piece of hardware in the path, and failing to
do so in a manner that allows those who might be able answer my
question, because they are lost at turn two in an 8 turn road course
I've tried to describe.

Thats my fault to a certain extent of course, and I tend to bypass whats
important to others because I've been there and done that and I see
that particular item as already checked and unimportant.  But it leads
to others being confused because my train of thought tends to jump
around depending on the clues. I've spent the majority of my 71 years
fixing electronics things for a living, and I don't always understand
that others don't jump to the answers from what limited info I've got,
but I can because after 55 years, you get a sense of smell & feeling
that lets you bypass the intermediate steps others would use to
confirm, and I've been right often enough that one person, watching me
work, wanted to know if I had webbed feet because surely I was walking
on water as far as he was concerned.

Unforch, that 'intuition' seems to be fading as I get into the 7th
decade.  And I should have used "subscribed" rather than "trolling"
above, but thats what I feel I'm doing, throwing out a line and
trolling for nibbles.

--
Cheers, Gene
message by Gene Heskett are: