NetworkManager update

I don't know if starting a new thread is the best idea, but the other topic's tree is really dense now, and I didn't want this to get buried.

Here are a couple of things to try:

(1) It occurred to me that most of the people having trouble are probably using the NM that shipped with FC5. There is a NetworkManager update in updates-testing that you should really try.

	yum --enablerepo=updates-testing NetworkManager

The update has been in testing for nearly a month. I don't know why some of these updates are taking so long to be rolled out.

(2) You also want the initscripts from updates-testing (also long overdue to be pushed out, IMO). If your machine has multiple NICs, then the current initscripts can swap them on boot and cause lots of flakiness. Once initscripts is updated, clear the DHCP leases from /var/<something dhcp related> before trying again. If it were me, I'd delete all devices in system-config-network, reboot, and reconfigure the interfaces as needed as well.

(3) Some of the reliability issues are due to interactions between NM and flakey drivers, and are not NM's fault. (Usability is a different matter.) It might be worth trying the Netdev kernels at http://people.redhat.com/linville/kernels/fedora-netdev/. They contain many driver updates.

(4) There are a number of useful hints for NM and ipw2200 at
http://www.ces.clemson.edu/linux. Users of other drivers may find some useful information there as well.

(4) For real help with NM, send your issues to the developers' list, networkmanager-list@xxxxxxxxx (subscribe at http://mail.gnome.org). For real bugs, file them in Fedora's Bugzilla. The goal of NM is to make managing connections to multiple networks painless. If it isn't quite there yet, the developers can use all the help you can provide.

HTH.
--
		Matthew Saltzman

Clemson University Math Sciences