Re: NetworkManager update

On Thursday 27 April 2006 09:43, Matthew Saltzman wrote:
>I don't know if starting a new thread is the best idea, but the other
>topic's tree is really dense now, and I didn't want this to get
> buried.
>
>Here are a couple of things to try:
>
>(1) It occurred to me that most of the people having trouble are
> probably using the NM that shipped with FC5.  There is a
> NetworkManager update in updates-testing that you should really try.
>
>  yum --enablerepo=updates-testing NetworkManager
>
>The update has been in testing for nearly a month.  I don't know why
> some of these updates are taking so long to be rolled out.

I put that stuff in yesterday, made little difference, NM is just as
much the connection assassin as ever, and a wee bit quieter while doing
it, so now we have MDI what the heck its actually doing.  Is this thing
supposed to have a configuration setup gui or anything like that to
facilitate telling it what to do next?

I tried it again today after doing a service network stop, then a
service NetworkManager start, which was fairly quiet but never brought
a working connection back up till I had to kill it, and do a pair of
service network restarts.  Then I was hooked up again.  I let it run
for about 5 minutes and it never queried the dhcp server.

>(2) You also want the initscripts from updates-testing (also long
> overdue to be pushed out, IMO).  If your machine has multiple NICs,
> then the current initscripts can swap them on boot and cause lots of
> flakiness. Once initscripts is updated, clear the DHCP leases from
> /var/<something dhcp related> before trying again.  If it were me,
> I'd delete all devices in system-config-network, reboot, and
> reconfigure the interfaces as needed as well.
>
>(3) Some of the reliability issues are due to interactions between NM
> and flakey drivers, and are not NM's fault.  (Usability is a
> different matter.)  It might be worth trying the Netdev kernels at
>http://people.redhat.com/linville/kernels/fedora-netdev/.  They
> contain many driver updates.
>
>(4) There are a number of useful hints for NM and ipw2200 at
>http://www.ces.clemson.edu/linux.  Users of other drivers may find
> some useful information there as well.
>
>(4) For real help with NM, send your issues to the developers' list,
>networkmanager-list@xxxxxxxxx (subscribe at http://mail.gnome.org).
> For real bugs, file them in Fedora's Bugzilla.  The goal of NM is to
> make managing connections to multiple networks painless.  If it isn't
> quite there yet, the developers can use all the help you can provide.

I've been trolling that list for nearly a week now, and haven't found
anyone who understands the problem well enough to ask me have you done
this, and that, and this other thing?  The assumption is that it Just
Works(TM) and it doesn't with my hardware.

--
Cheers, Gene
message by Gene Heskett are: