Re: strange character issues

On Mon, 2006-04-24 at 23:06 +0930, Tim wrote:
> What you're seeing is one of the compose modes, where you can make
> accented characters by typing sequences of characters (the apostrophes
> and quotes being used as representatives of some accents).  If you type
> them twice, you'll get the character you're after (just the apostrophe
> or quote).  Type the apostrophe once, and you'll get an accent.

Strike the last two sentences, I was going by memory, and not quite
remembering the murky details about what it did.

If you type apostrophe once, you get nothing, as it's trying to create a
character with an accent, and is wanting two characters in combination
to do so.  If you type it twice, you get the accent by itself (an
accented space?).

This sort of thing makes it hard to type in commands, or whatnot, that
*require* the ASCII abomination of apostrophe.

I read messages from the public lists.