GUI applications won't print with LPR

Hi,

While trying to work out why Firefox refuses to print on one box, I've
discovered that GUI applications won't print through "lpr" (the
technique Firefox tries to use, and GEdit will let you pick), yet I can
use lpr to print through the command line.

e.g. lpr /home/tim/testpage.text

This is the closest I can get to working out what's wrong, but still not
resolve my problem (unable to print pages in Firefox).  I've taken the
brute force approach, renamed the /etc/cups directory and forcefully
reinstalled CUPS, trying to see if that makes any difference.  Doing a
"rpm -Vv cups" shows no apparent problems with installed files.

On three different FC4 boxes, I get different results for listing the
lpr file, and they've all got the same version of CUPS installed
(cups-1.1.23-15.4).

Working boxes:
-rwxr-xr-x  1 root root 17520 Jan  5 05:09 /usr/bin/lp.cups
-rwxr-xr-x  1 root root 12808 Jan 27 02:21 /usr/bin/lpr.cups

Problem box:
-rwxr-xr-x  1 root root 14056 Jan 27 02:21 /usr/bin/lp.cups

Looking for any ideas about what to try next.

NB:  I use Gnome, there is, and will not be, any KDE installation.

I read messages from the public lists.