Re: strange character issues

On Sun, 2006-04-23 at 22:22 -0700, Robert Bell wrote:
> After a recent yum update I having strange issues. For example, I can no
> longer type an apostophe, instead it becomes an accent mark on the next
> character I type, s' was typed as aprstophe s. Also the quotation marks
> look strange. Its hared to ask for help when I have no idea what
> happened. I do know that KDE is set only to US English though.

What you're seeing is one of the compose modes, where you can make
accented characters by typing sequences of characters (the apostrophes
and quotes being used as representatives of some accents).  If you type
them twice, you'll get the character you're after (just the apostrophe
or quote).  Type the apostrophe once, and you'll get an accent.

I get that, with Gnome, occasionally.  I don't know why it swaps over to
working in that mode, but it sometimes does.  I just suddenly notice the
change while trying to type.  And I have to log out and in again to fix
it.  No amount of fiddling with keyboard preferences seems to help.

I'm guessing I've hit a combination of keys, without realising it, that
change a keyboard mode.

I read messages from the public lists.