Re: FC5 Canon LiDE 30 and libusbscanner

Gene Heskett wrote:
On Sunday 23 April 2006 16:53, Richard England wrote:
I've recently updated from FC4 to FC5 and attached my Canon LiDE 30
scanner. This scanner works under FC3. I never tried it on FC4 before
updating the machine. I can't seem to get it to be recognized except
as root.  Even then, when I attempt to scan something, I get a
"Failed to start scanner: Device busy" error.

#scanimage -L
device 'plustek:libusb:001:004' is a Canon N1240U/LiDE30 USB flatbed
scanner

My research, to date, shows that part of the problem might be that
/etc/hotplug/usb/libusbscanner might be missing.

Is there some step I've missed here?  Has anyone else been successful
in getting a USB scanner to function and can they shed any light on
this situation?  As far as I can tell sane-backend is as update to
date as the repositories allow.

Sane itself should have no trouble at all recognizing it. My sane is a wee bit ancient here, but I've got a lappy with FC5 on it and the cable is portable so lets see if I have a problem. The scanner is an epson 1250u, uses the same plustek library AFAIK.. And I'm running as root ATM on the FC5 lappy. Plugged the usb cable into the lappy, ran xsane, clicked thru the license, it found it as an Epson Prefection 1250/Photo:002, so I stuck a piece of paper on the bed & told it to get a preview. It waited for over a minute before starting the scan, presumably to let the lamp warm up, and the preview looks plumb normal to me. Rather looks like another piece of gear I take along to the job. That and my trusty old Epson C82, or get a newer lookalike, its truely been a hockey puck for about 4-5 years now. Both it and the scanner have been used fairly hard.

The only things I have in /etc/hotplug/usb are kino related.
And there is no libusbscanner on the system according to locate.

So I'm afraid its not going to be a lot of help to you, other than to suggest you may be barking up the wrong tree. Sorry.

Thank you, Gene.

At least I know what direction NOT to go in.

Back to the Sane site and Google....but I'm running out of key words.... :-}

--
--R
/Linux, and Open Software, an alternative./