Re: wifi pcmcia card only works if inserted after booting FC5

On 4/23/06, Sam Varshavchik <mrsam@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Lonni J Friedman writes:

> >> The hostap_cs driver might be "hogging" the card (for lack of better
> >> wording). You might want to try adding that to your
> >> /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist file.
> >
> > Sorry, forgot to mention, I've tried that already too.  It makes no difference.
>
> Explain.  If hostap_cs still gets loaded, you must've made a typo in the
> blacklist file.  If hostap_cs does not get loaded, you need to keep digging.

Sorry, what I meant was that the original problem (networking never
works) remains even if hostap_cs is blacklisted (and doesn't get
loaded).  So I'm not sure that hostap_cs is causing this problem, it
might just be an innocent bystander.

> Although I have no specific knowledge of these drivers, I have been hacking
> the startup scripts recently, so there are a couple of things worth trying.
>
> Create a new file in /etc/modprobe.d, containing:
>
> install orinoco_cs /bin/true
>
> This'll keep kudzu from loading the module immediately after the kernel
> initializes.  This is just a temporary thing -- this'll also keep hotplug
> from loading the module if the card is inserted when the system is running.
> You just want to check if by preventing the module from getting loaded on
> early in the boot process, and when the system is done booting, if a
> "modprobe -i orinoco_cs" brings the card up.  If so, there might be
> something in the early boot environment that keeps the module from coming up
> correctly.

Thanks, I'll give this a try, although it might be a few days.  I'm
not the primary user of the notebook, and my family is getting a bit
peeved at the time I'm spending trying to debug this.

L. Friedman                                    netllama@xxxxxxxxx
LlamaLand                       http://netllama.linux-sxs.org