Re: FC5 Canon LiDE 30 and libusbscanner

On Sunday 23 April 2006 20:07, Richard England wrote:
>Gene Heskett wrote:
>> On Sunday 23 April 2006 16:53, Richard England wrote:
>>> I've recently updated from FC4 to FC5 and attached my Canon LiDE 30
>>> scanner. This scanner works under FC3. I never tried it on FC4
>>> before updating the machine. I can't seem to get it to be
>>> recognized except as root.  Even then, when I attempt to scan
>>> something, I get a "Failed to start scanner: Device busy" error.
>>>
>>> #scanimage -L
>>> device 'plustek:libusb:001:004' is a Canon N1240U/LiDE30 USB
>>> flatbed scanner
>>>
>>> My research, to date, shows that part of the problem might be that
>>> /etc/hotplug/usb/libusbscanner might be missing.
>>>
>>> Is there some step I've missed here?  Has anyone else been
>>> successful in getting a USB scanner to function and can they shed
>>> any light on this situation?  As far as I can tell sane-backend is
>>> as update to date as the repositories allow.
>>
>> Sane itself should have no trouble at all recognizing it.  My sane
>> is a wee bit ancient here, but I've got a lappy with FC5 on it and
>> the cable is portable so lets see if I have a problem.  The scanner
>> is an epson 1250u, uses the same plustek library AFAIK..  And I'm
>> running as root ATM on the FC5 lappy.
>>
>> Plugged the usb cable into the lappy, ran xsane, clicked thru the
>> license, it found it as an Epson Prefection 1250/Photo:002, so I
>> stuck a piece of paper on the bed & told it to get a preview.  It
>> waited for over a minute before starting the scan, presumably to let
>> the lamp warm up, and the preview looks plumb normal to me.  Rather
>> looks like another piece of gear I take along to the job.  That and
>> my trusty old Epson C82, or get a newer lookalike, its truely been a
>> hockey puck for about 4-5 years now.  Both it and the scanner have
>> been used fairly hard.
>>
>> The only things I have in /etc/hotplug/usb are kino related.
>> And there is no libusbscanner on the system according to locate.
>>
>> So I'm afraid its not going to be a lot of help to you, other than
>> to suggest you may be barking up the wrong tree.  Sorry.
>
>Thank you, Gene.
>
>At least I know what direction NOT to go in.
>
>Back to the Sane site and Google....but I'm running out of key
> words.... :-}

Thanks for the flowers although I didn't earn them by solving the
problem.

One of the things to do is to run xsane from a shell, so you get the
error output in that shell, which can be enlightening from time to
time.  If you've done that, then you can safely ignore my prattling.

--
Cheers, Gene
message by Gene Heskett are: