Re: named: dumping master file: tmp-xxxxxxx: open: permission denied

----- Original Message ----- From: "Tim" <ignored_mailbox@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: "For users of Fedora Core releases" <fedora-list@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Saturday, April 22, 2006 12:11 PM
Subject: Re: named: dumping master file: tmp-xxxxxxx: open: permission denied

On Sat, 2006-04-22 at 07:22 -0400, Gerry Doris wrote:
When I check /tmp I find that sure enough there are many empty
directories all named tmp-xxxxxxxxx.  These are owned by root.root and
have 700 permissions.  I've been going in and deleting them manually.

LC:
chown and chgrp named to named

named is running as user named and  /var/named plus all directories and
files inside are owned by named.named

Though you said the temp files were owned by root and mode 700...  Named
won't be able to work with them.

This is a box that was recently upgraded from FC3. Everything appears to be
working fine and I'm not seeing any other errors messages.

I might hazard a guess that the other user's sticky bit hasn't been set
for your /tmp directory.  I've had that happen to me.

e.g. This is how mine is set:
    ls -dl /tmp
    drwxrwxrwt  16 root root 4096 Apr 22 15:33 /tmp

See the chmod map page for how to set the sticky bit.

Though, I'd have thought any named temp files would have ended up
inside:  /var/named/chroot/var/tmp

I got it figured out. I actually had two problems and I thought both were named. The named problem was an ownership/permission problem that I fixed easily enough. However, I have a custom script that downloads some virus dat files from a website that broke (they changed the website around...I hate when that happens!!!). It was leaving some garbage behind in /tmp that looked almost exactly the same as named problem. The only difference was a "." in the file name.