Re: CUPS printing problems

On Wed, 2006-04-19 at 20:52 -0500, Jeff Vian wrote:
> I have recently added an FC5 system to my home network.
> I already have an FC4 server that has all my printers connected and I
> want to not have to move them.  I want to have all machines on my local
> LAN able to print to this server.
> Note: I am not running samba since I have no windows systems to deal
> with.
>
> Printing from the local machine works, so it seems this is related to
> enabling
>
> I have gone to the CUPS documentation and it seems that I should be able
> to add a simple "Listen IP:port" in the cupsd.conf file and it should
> work.
> Whenever I try adding this option in the conf file then restarting cups
> it fails with "child exited with error 98!", as if the syntax was wrong.
> I cannot see the error, and what I have is like the example given in
> the .conf file but it just fails.
>
> Without the Listen option, the access_log shows me that the printing
> attempt from the remote system fails with a 403 error.
>
> Any pointers to the obviously simple fix for my blind eyes?
>
> NOTE: SElinux is presently disabled on both systems and iptables is not
> running.
>
> Jeff

One thing to try is to og to the /etc/cups/client.conf and place the
name of your server as the argument on the ServerName line.
This assumes that:
a. you user the cups web interface to configure the printers on your
server.
b. You made no configuration at all of the printers on your clients.
When does later become never?