Re: spca5xx freezes system

| From: Lonni J Friedman <netllama@xxxxxxxxx>

| I couldn't even find such a list on the spca5xx website.  If you've
| got a pointer, I'll gladly take the discussion there.

Well, you can wander around from the links I posted.  They are from
the SourceForge site for the project.  The home page on the site
mentions the mailing list (and an IRC channel).

http://sourceforge.net/mail/?group_id=28498

| I wouldn't be building a Fedora kernel, I'd be building a kernel.org
| kernel, which most definitely is qualified against gcc versions
| earlier than 4.x.  But I do see your point.

I'm a chicken.  I have no idea whether things break if you use a
kernel.org kernel with FC5.

Each of us has our own way to get to a goal.  I'm fairly knowledgeable
about C and C compilers, so I'd try to isolate the bug myself.  Given
that the developer seems reluctant to do so.

On the other hand, your approach is good in that it gives the
developer what he is asking for.

| Well sure, but since the spca5xx developer said that he thought
| gcc-4.x was the problem, I figured it would be a better use of my time
| to not spend time on gcc-4.x, and isolate whether the version of gcc
| that the spca5xx dev claims is 'good' truly is.

My suspicion was what I described: new GCC4 optimizations expose bugs
in the driver.  My path would get to that sooner.

But a quick glance at the list suggests that there are other problems
with the driver.  Your approach would more quickly reveal the problem
if it were device-dependent.

|  Overall, i'm not at all impressed with
| spca5xx or its management.

Another thing bothered me.  The SourceForge home page says:
12/11/2004
    Things are now "back to normal", which means that the newest code is
    once again available from http://mxhaard.free.fr/download.html. You
    may wonder why we don't use CVS, but at the moment Michel Xhaard is
    pretty much the sole maintainer of spca50x, so it works quite well
    this way. But in time we do plan to put the code back into CVS, and
    make a real spca50x release.

I really like to be able to read the history and rationale for
code changes.  Without CVS, this isn't possible.

I'd like the code to get mature and go into the kernel tree.
Out-kernel-tree maintenance is wasteful.

All-in-all, I'm grateful for the contributions that people like Michel
Xhaard make to open source.