Re: spca5xx freezes system

On 4/18/06, D. Hugh Redelmeier <hugh@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> | I emailed the developer again yesterday, and he told me that he
> | believes the problem to be gcc-4.1 in FC5 (and not its kernel).  That
> | at least makes more sense than blaming the kernel, when the problem
> | also existed with an official kernel.org kernel too.
>
> Interesting.  If this is correct, it still probably indicates a bug in
> the driver code rather than GCC.  Usually what has happened is that
> the C compiler has gotten better at optimization, exposing new places
> where the driver needed to use "volatile" or some similar mechanism.
>
> Not always: there was a horrible bug in FC4's X last summer that was
> caused by a subtle GCC bug in handling casts to volatile qualified
> types.  It took several of us to convince the GCC folk
> that they were reading the C standard unreasonably.  See the thread
> starting here: http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc/2005-07/msg00664.html
>
> Here's how to test the hypothesis: recompile the driver with no
> optimization.  This may seem to require spelunking makefiles that are
> very convoluted and obscure.  If so, there is a cheating shortcut that
> might work:  capture the makefile log, manually edit out the
> optimization flags, and manually rerun the commands.
>
> If the driver works when compiled without optimization, this is a
> strong indication that the driver is not getting along with GCC
> changes.  This is a good start to diagnosing the problem.  If the
> driver does not work when compiled without optimization, it is very
> probably not a compiler/code mismatch.
>
> I admire the effort to which you (plural) have gone to chase this down.
> Many would just wait until someone else diagnosed it.

I agree that this could still point to a driver bug.  I asked the
developer whether he had verified if his driver works with the
'official' gnu gcc-4.1, and he stated that he had not.  I will be
unlikely to have time in the near future (within the next few weeks at
least) to rebuild a kernel against gcc-3.2 to verify his claim.  So,
if someone else has the time, please let us know how it works out.

L. Friedman                                    netllama@xxxxxxxxx
LlamaLand                       http://netllama.linux-sxs.org