Re: 'yum --enablerepo' command (Newbie).

Brian Durant wrote:
> 1) Where is the file located that you add repositories to?

As mentioned, you usually put per-repo files in /etc/yum.repos.d, but
most repositories will have RPMs you can install that will put the right
file in the right place for you.

> 2) If I stumble across or find a FAQ about how to get "x" eller "y" lib,
> program, etc. can I follow those instructions and let yum sort out whether a
> ppc or ppc64 version is available, or do I have to specify some sort
> of syntax when adding repositories so that yum can sort out if there
> is ppc or ppc64 version?

Usually, the repo file will include lines somewhat like
baseurl=http://distro.example.org/fedora/$releasever/$basearch/
and yum knows to replace $basearch with the appropriate architecture.

> These questions are very important for ppc users as there doesn't seem
> to be a lot of FAQ's, HowTo's, etc. that are specifica to FC5 and the
> ppc platform. A typical question in this area is exactly, as was
> mentioned by another poster to my thread:

These particular questions are ones that x86-64 users have to deal with,
too.

As far as I can see, there are only three areas where Power/PowerPC
users could experience problems that won't apply equally to x86 or
x86-64:

 * There is some very unusual hardware that Fedora on Power supports
   (largely because RHEL supports it), some of which needs unusual
   handling;

 * Power and PowerPC have different firmware interfaces, different
   partitioning formats, and different software for talking to those
   interfaces (yaboot, etc.)

 * Not all third-party repos or closed source software supports Linux on
   Power. *Most* open-source software should simply be able to be
   recompiled, but you might not get the advantages of yum updates.

Apart from that, there really are very few differences -- which is not
too surprising, given the history of Unix and open source.

James.
--
E-mail address: james | His Mind Raced...unfortunately, it did not race
@westexe.demon.co.uk  | particularly well, and failed to even place at the