Re: 'yum --enablerepo' command (Newbie).

James Wilkinson wrote:
Brian Durant wrote:

1) Where is the file located that you add repositories to?

As mentioned, you usually put per-repo files in /etc/yum.repos.d, but
most repositories will have RPMs you can install that will put the right
file in the right place for you.

2) If I stumble across or find a FAQ about how to get "x" eller "y" lib, program, etc. can I follow those instructions and let yum sort out whether a ppc or ppc64 version is available, or do I have to specify some sort
of syntax when adding repositories so that yum can sort out if there
is ppc or ppc64 version?

Usually, the repo file will include lines somewhat like
baseurl=http://distro.example.org/fedora/$releasever/$basearch/
and yum knows to replace $basearch with the appropriate architecture.

These questions are very important for ppc users as there doesn't seem
to be a lot of FAQ's, HowTo's, etc. that are specifica to FC5 and the
ppc platform. A typical question in this area is exactly, as was
mentioned by another poster to my thread:

These particular questions are ones that x86-64 users have to deal with,
too.

As far as I can see, there are only three areas where Power/PowerPC
users could experience problems that won't apply equally to x86 or
x86-64:

 * There is some very unusual hardware that Fedora on Power supports
   (largely because RHEL supports it), some of which needs unusual
   handling;

 * Power and PowerPC have different firmware interfaces, different
   partitioning formats, and different software for talking to those
   interfaces (yaboot, etc.)

 * Not all third-party repos or closed source software supports Linux on
   Power. *Most* open-source software should simply be able to be
   recompiled, but you might not get the advantages of yum updates.

Apart from that, there really are very few differences -- which is not
too surprising, given the history of Unix and open source.

James.

Thanks for the info. I am still unsure about whether yum sorts out itself about ppc and/or ppc64 packages being installed from the repository and not packages for another platform.

Cheers,

Brian