Re: Installing FC5 on pre-partitioned /dev/hdb

On Mon, 2006-04-03 at 14:46 -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:
> On Monday 03 April 2006 14:25, Craig White wrote:
> >>
> >> [...]
> >>
> >> Yes, and the dubious geneology of bugzilla has been discussed here,
> >> at length, many times in several, often unprintable languages.  It
> >> maybe is improving from my last meeting with it, but simple it
> >> isn't.  Most (including me) would rather not have a brainless script
> >> second, third, or forth guessing what it is we're trying to say.
> >
> >----
> >seems to me that since Red Hat and Fedora absolutely rely upon
> > bugzilla for bug reports and repairs, enhancement requests and all
> > other errata for their packaging and have done so for quite some
> > time.
> >
> >Recognize that if you don't provide feedback, your opinions languish
> >here and go nowhere and are not considered and not relevant to the
> >decision makers (i.e. the packagers, in this case -
> > fedora-developers). It is your choice whether you interact with
> > bugzilla or not.
> >
> >When I want my opinions to actually count (be considered), I put them
> > in bugzilla attached to the appropriate package. When I want to get
> > on a soap box and shout into the abyss...this is a suitable place.
> >
> >As to your insinuation of the 'dubious genealogy of bugzilla', it has
> >served the development system for RHL, RHEL and now Fedora for a great
> >many years and is integral to the development. While less than
> > perfect, it is a system that is used in a vast array of software
> > projects but you could actually put in a bugzilla entry on bugzilla
> > itself I would guess...that is if you identified something that
> > needed fixing.
> >
> >Craig
>
> A correction here, Craig.
>
> It has served to insulate the developers from the feedback obtainable by
> listening to the real world because they don't have the time to listen
> to all the senseless babble here.  And I agree that much of it is
> exactly that.
>
> In that insulating effort it is absolutely unsurpassed in its
> effectiveness.  Nothing else I've encounterd has succeeded in
> deflecting bug bitches from getting to the real people who might listen
> and act as well as bugzilla has over the years.  Navigating that to
> actually file a report has been improved some over the years, but I
> dare say it still turns away 95% of the people who go there.  5 years
> ago I daresay the reject rate was 99.9%, so I'll admit there has been
> some improvements.  OTOH if you make it too easy, then it turns into
> this list, and thats equally non-productive.
----
what do you cite as the source of these statistics?

Does the above citation count entries that are marked 'notabug' as part
of the 95% turn away?

FWIW - I did a report within bugzilla and found no entries tied to
"gene.heskett" whatsoever - which I assume means that you have not
submitted nor cc'd yourself to a single report in the bugzilla history.

Are you relating first hand experiences here (because I don't see any
evidence of that) or are you referring to your general impression of
bugzilla?

Craig