Re: fc5: install everything?

On Tue, 2006-03-28 at 18:23 +0200, Eugen Leitl wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 29, 2006 at 01:08:24AM +1030, Tim wrote:
>
> > Stop expecting everything to be precisely what you want, it's not going
>
> Stop pretending to speak for Fedora users. You most emphatically don't.
>
> > to happen.  Take your fingers out of your ears and pay attention to the
> > thread that has explained all of this, in excruciating detail, over the
> > last few weeks.  Those who've created the installation process
> > understand the problems, even if you do not.
>
> Idiots like you are responsible for user experience degradation.
> Thanks for turning back the Linux clock.
----
interesting exchange

You ***can*** actually read for yourself the reasons for this on the
fedora-developers mail list as it is archived and not rely upon anyone's
paraphrasing the conclusions and the reasoning behind them though I do
think that Tim's conclusions about why the option was removed are pretty
much on the mark.

I personally don't see much logic behind an 'install everything' option
but my opinion counts as much (or as little) as yours does...and it is
this type of decision making process that does things like alter
installation options and elects people like 'W' - there is a bottom line
issue...you can't please everyone all the time.

Seriously though...there was a bunch of consternation about what
represented 'install everything', there was emphasis on reducing the
packages that are part of core and moving stuff out to extras which is
really where people are wanting to install everything...not from core.

Craig