Re: Problems installing FC4 on Dell Optiplex GX620

I have had some time of the past couple of days to do some more FC4 installs on these systems, so I thought I would summarize what I found in case someone else experiences problems with the GX620.

I have succesfully installed FC4 on 2 new Dell GX620s. These 2 units were brand new out of the box GX620's that were preloaded with Windows XP.  I have to report that FC4 installed on these new GX620s without any problems. I used the x86_64 and left the SATA controller in "normal" mode.  After the install, I yum updated all 720 updates and everything went OK.

Just to summarize, I had problems installing FC4 x86_64 on 2 out of the 4 Dell GX620s because the SATA drives were not found.  On one of the problem GX620's we tried to install FC4, but gave up and installed openSUSE.  On the other problem GX620, I installed FC3 (i386) after setting the SATA controller in "mode, then installed FC4 (i386 version) after setting the controller to "normal" mode, then installed FC4 (x86_64) with the SATA controller in "normal" mode.

I will try FC5 when I get some more time.

Thanks for all those who responded.

Bruce