RE: Hard decision

> > Right now, on my machine, there's a 64bit FC4. The
> > CPU is an Athlon64
> > 3000+ with 512MB 400Mhz RAM. Graphics are handled by
> > a GeForce 5200 with
> > 128MB. HD is a 160GB 7200RPM Hitachi SATA.
> >
> > I'm downloading both x86-64 and i386 versions of
> > FC5, so the big
> > question is: should I "downgrade" to i386 in order
> > to get all firefox
> > plugins, less compilation hassles when compiling
> > 3rd-party stuff, and
> > (mainly) shockwave/flash (unfortunately, most web
> > pages, including home
> > banking ones, use flash in my country, so there's no
> > way to avoid it).
> > Or should I stick to the 64bit version and face all
> > the inconveniences
> > that I have now? Quick answer would be: if you can
> > handle the hassle,
> > keep 64. But the deeper question here is: is it
> > worth it to face all the
> > hassle? Are there really significant differences in
> > performance?
> >
> > Thanks to all,
> >

> > --
> > Mariano L�pez Reta <mlreta@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> > Tortuguitas, Buenos Aires, Argentina
> >
> > Registered Linux user #412032
> > Count yourself at http://counter.li.org

Part of the answer to your question lies in what you are
doing with the box.  I have a friend who is into the
"latest and greatest" hardware.  He has a dual core
processor and a boatload of ram and all the bells and
whistles.  He uses the box primarily for reading email
and surfing the web.  A 700 Mhz machine would actually
do what he wanted.

If you are doing video processing or high end gaming, the
64 bit OS may help assuming the applications are making
use of the 64 bit architecture.

If the machine will do more of what you want when you
run as i386, the the downgrade is worth it.  Another option
is to use a KVM switch and use and older box for your
email and web browsing and use the high end box for high
end applications.  But then again, I have too many machines.  :-)

Bob Styma