From: Tod Merley
Sent: Friday, March 17, 2006 10:10 PM
Subject: Re: Problems installing FC4 on Dell Optiplex GX620

On 3/17/06, Bruce Keats <brucekeats@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I am having all kinds of problems installing FC4 on a Dell Optiplex GX620.  When I try and use the FC4 CDs, it fails to find the hard drive.  The controller is the on board Intel SATA controller.  I know the hardware works fine because I can install FC3 on the Dell and it works as long as the BIOS is configured for combined mode.  If I do a yum update, the latest FC3 kernel fails to boot.

Does anyone know how to install FC4 on these boxes.  I suspect the latest 2.6.15 works as reported in http://www.cs.berkeley.edu/~ushankar/linux-dell.html .  Does anyone know how to replace the kernel on the FC4 CDs to get these systems to install properly?

Bruce

Hi Bruce!

Perhaps there are other options (see link):

Does sound like an HW problem.  Sounds like rebuilding the Kernel you have may be a good option.

Have fun!

Tod