Re: DVD burning issue

On Monday 13 March 2006 23:35, Kostas Sfakiotakis wrote:
>   That's why I chose utf8 over
>
> > ISO8859-1.  Since it works, it may be best to stick with it.
>
> If i recall correctly utf-8 is an effort of making a uniform way of
> representing English and Non-English as well . I don't have the
> slightest idea whether it is a standard yet or not . I don't know also
> whether for example mount will something like that ( sticking with the
> utf-8 character set ) . To that effect have you tried to mount a
> partition be it fat32/ntfs/ext2/ext3/xfs ( choose one ) with the
> utf-8 character set ?

I can't give a categoric answer.  I think to be certain I would have to have a
disk or partition where the files had all been created after I converted to
utf8.  I may have time to do some experimentation later today.  All I can say
at the moment is that the disks I burned are read easily enough by XP - but I
don't think that it is a good enough test.

> In other words am uncertain whether there will be compatibility
> problems with other applications or not if you stick with the
> utf-8 . Certainly is a solution though .
>
> > Let me know whether your experiments with Greek filenames are successful?
>
> Well it's getting kind of late around here ( i don't know about where
> you are but here is almost 1:30 am in the morning , so the experiment
> will have to wait until tonight . I will try with both ISO8859-7 and
> utf-8 and see how it goes . Afterwards i will post the results

Look foward to seeing the results.  BTW, I'm in the UK, and it looks as though
we are 2 hours behind you.

Anne