Re: DVD burning issue

Anne Wilson wrote:
On Monday 13 March 2006 21:49, Kostas Sfakiotakis wrote:
Anne Wilson wrote:

< snip >
I half-remembered reading somewhere that there is a general move towards utf8, and that it was expected that before long some applications would not function correctly with other character sets.

 That's why I chose utf8 over
ISO8859-1.  Since it works, it may be best to stick with it.

If i recall correctly utf-8 is an effort of making a uniform way of
representing English and Non-English as well . I don't have the slightest idea whether it is a standard yet or not . I don't know also
whether for example mount will something like that ( sticking with the
utf-8 character set ) . To that effect have you tried to mount a partition be it fat32/ntfs/ext2/ext3/xfs ( choose one ) with the
utf-8 character set ?

In other words am uncertain whether there will be compatibility
problems with other applications or not if you stick with the
utf-8 . Certainly is a solution though .

Let me know whether your experiments with Greek filenames are successful?

Well it's getting kind of late around here ( i don't know about where you are but here is almost 1:30 am in the morning , so the experiment will have to wait until tonight . I will try with both ISO8859-7 and utf-8 and see how it goes . Afterwards i will post the results

Anne

Kind Regards,
  Kostas