Re: moving fedora to a new system

Jaime Davila wrote:
> Will those names follow a clear convention? That is, can I find a
> consistent delimiter between the package name and the package version?
> If there is, I can then write a script to do the installs.

I think you only have to remove the trailing .rpm, which can
conveniently be done with the basename command. For example,
for i in $(grep glibc /var/log/rpmpkgs) ; do basename $i .rpm ; done | xargs yum info
should retrieve information from yum on all the glibc packages installed
on your system.

There is a slight problem with this: if there are updates made available
between the generation of rpmpkgs and the issuing of the yum commands,
then the yum command may attempt to install the old version, which may no
longer be available through yum. For this reason, it would make a lot
more sense just to generate the list with
rpm -qa > rpmpkgs
(which doesn't include the trailing .rpms anyway), copy that to the new
computer, and then run
xargs yum -y install < rpmpkgs

I'm not sure which 256 character limit akonstam is referring to: it
sounds like he means the maximum length of a bash command line. But
man xargs suggests this limit is at least 131072 characters. In any
case, xargs should deal with it.

Hope this helps,

James.
--
E-mail address: james | Mike Andrews' Corollary to Murphy's Law:
@westexe.demon.co.uk  | In any sufficiently large collection of texts, every