Re: moving fedora to a new system

akonstam@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

I really haven't thought about this a lot but two observations might
be made. 1. If you never ran a yum clean then all the rpms you installed
through yum will be in the directories:
/var/cache/yum/<repository name>/packages. So that takes care of the
names of the rpms installed.

HMM. After running yum clean those directories are empty in my system.

2. However to install them on the new machine you would have to write
a script that would I think( I am not sure about this) remove the tail
part of the rpm name (such as the .lvn.1.4.i386.rpm part of the rpm
 mplayerplug-in-2.80-0.lvn.1.4.i386.rpm. Then you would have to feed
 them to yum -y update in small enough glops as to not exceed the 256
 character limit on a execution line.

Will those names follow a clear convention? That is, can I find a consistent delimiter between the package name and the package version? If there is, I can then write a script to do the installs.

Jaime J. Davila
Assistant Professor of Computer Science
Hampshire College
School of Cognitive Science