Re: moving fedora to a new system

On Fri, Feb 24, 2006 at 04:25:51PM -0500, Jaime Davila wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I've been using fedora for a while in my personal laptop. I am about to
> get a new laptop, and would like to end up with a system as close to the
> one I have as possible in terms of the packages that are installed in
> it. Everything I have installed so far I have installed via yum. Is
> there a way of making yum output what it knows is installed (in my
> current system), and then feed that to yum in my new system?
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Jaime
I really haven't thought about this a lot but two observations might
be made.
1. If you never ran a yum clean then all the rpms you installed
through yum will be in the directories:
/var/cache/yum/<repository name>/packages. So that takes care of the
names of the rpms installed.

2. However to install them on the new machine you would have to write
a script that would I think( I am not sure about this) remove the tail
part of the rpm name (such as the .lvn.1.4.i386.rpm part of the rpm
 mplayerplug-in-2.80-0.lvn.1.4.i386.rpm. Then you would have to feed
 them to yum -y update in small enough glops as to not exceed the 256
 character limit on a execution line.

 That is the way it seems to me but maybe I am  all wet and someone
 will correct me or find a better way to do this.

Disobedience:  The silver lining to the cloud of servitude.
-- Ambrose Bierce
Aaron Konstam
Computer Science
Trinity University