Re: [akonstam: Re: cups sucks me]

On Fri, 2006-02-24 at 10:00 +0530, François Patte wrote:
> We have no information about this daemon: who starts it, how to stop
> its nuisances, etc.

The cups-config-daemon is started like other ones.  If you use the
command line, you can play with chkconfig; and if you use the GUI, it's
listed in the "services" Gnome configuration whatsit (I don't know what
KDE offers, I don't have it installed).

I stopped it on one of my PCs ages ago.  I don't recall having any
problems with that PC.  I don't think it gets started by something else,
such as starting CUPS starting it up as well.  I don't have that PC
running to look at what it's doing anymore.

Judging by what I think it's supposed to do, I wouldn't run it on a
server unless your server kept having printers changed on it.  I might
run it on remote terminals so that they can find the LAN printer all by
themselves.  I was pleasantly surprised to see a FC3 box do that:  I
installed FC3 onto a new box, never configured CUPs, was browsing a
webpage, hit print without thinking I hadn't configured printers on this
box, and this PC used my network printer (on another PC) all by itself.

I read messages from the public lists.