Re: Hard drive cable question -

On Thursday 23 February 2006 06:19, Wolfgang wrote:

>> Tim:
>>
>> Wolfgang Gill:
>> > Misleading?? That wasn't misleading at all!! And I'M NOT leading
>> > people up the garden path.
>>
>> It's completely wrong to say that all IDE 40 or 80 wire cables are
>> wired straight through.  THEY ARE NOT!  Repeat after me, they are
>> NOT *all* wired straight through.  And if anything, the *majority*
>> are not.
>>
>> On any (40 or 80) that're cable-select, one wire is disconnected
>> from one plug, and the same pin is grounded on another.  That's not
>> "straight through" wiring.
>>
>> On any that're 80-wire, only 40 of the wires can be "straight
>> through", 40 don't connect to anything other than one plug, and
>> there's two that might be connected as above (most 80-wire cables
>> are cable-select, I won't go as far as to say that all of them are.
>
>I never said no such thing that ALL 40/80 pin IDE cables are straight
>through. You can´t get them off the shelf unless you specifically ask
>for them. Since they are the cheapest to manufacture, they will be the
>most likely that people will come across.
>
>> So, now, tell me how that equates to being wired "straight through"?
>>
>> Hint:  Don't argue with an electronics engineer about basic wiring.

Why not if he's possibly miss-informed?

>More like an Electronics Engineer arguing with another Electronics
> engineer. (25 years in electronics/computers)

Now you are asking for it, I can more than double that to 55.  But since
I have also learned that I don't know everything, I'm more than willing
to take 'corrections'.

To quote an ex motherinlaw who despite her lack of formal education,
occasionally had a way with words, and one of her favorites was that so
and so could paint a sign and then stand there and argue with it.
You've done rather precisely that in this thread.

> [...]
>> > after the first 1000 or so). And only 1% have failed due to
>> > hardware faults, and cabling wasn't one of them. It's NO use to
>> > explain things into GREAT detail to people that have little
>> > understanding of the concepts as it is, and confuse them even
>> > more.
>>
>> It's a very bad, VERY BAD, idea to outright lie to people.  Do not
>> tell false people information as if it were fact.  Over-simplifying
>> things to the point that they are wrong is misleading.  The people
>> who take you at face value later have to unlearn all the bad
>> information that they found out, which is a difficult thing to do.

>> > Now that's the part that's misleading.. "Cut it off if you don't
>> > need it", that's a REALLY, SMART thing to say to people that
>> > barely understand this concept at all. (**Shakes Head**)
>>
>> If you know how transmission lines work, and bear in mind the
>> frequencies involved, taking excess cable and rolling it up, folding
>> it up, bundling it under drives, etc., can lead to all sorts of
>> problems.
>>
>> I repeat, if you're NEVER going to use the excess, it's fine to cut
>> it off.  Doing so will do NO harm to the signalling, and can remove
>> a plethora of weird problems that people may encounter due to
>> stuffing cables into any spare space.
>>
>> I take comments that "I've built thousands with no problems" with a
>> grain of salt.  How many PCs get problems that the builder will
>> never hear about?  Lots.  How many problems go undiagnosed?  Lots.
>> How many people magically fix their systems by fiddling with the
>> cables?  Lots.

>> > You obviously haven't dealt with different number of different
>> > brands of drives in the same system. IF you did, you'd know all
>> > about it..
>>
>> I have.  You've obviously dealt with too few.
>>
>> I've seen drives which need no jumper for master, one jumper for it,
>> two jumpers for it (depending on whether it was single or with a
>> slave). I've seen slaves with one jumper, no jumper, and so on.  I
>> couldn't go around giving some assertion that it's more common for
>> masters to be jumpered and slaves to be not, because I don't see
>> that sort of consistency anywhere, and it's a useless thing to rely
>> on.  It's just encouraging people to make ill-considered assumptions
>> about drives by quickly glancing at the back instead of checking out
>> the jumpering that's actually needed by the drive.
>
>I never said anything along those lines either. And you don´t have to
>explain it to me, I´ve been there done that. And it seems that we both
>overlooked the fact that the original poster, was using a cable select
>cable. As drives jumpered as master/slave don´t function when two
> drives are connected to the cable.
>
>¨;doesn't seem to care which data cable connector is attached to it,
> but when I put in the second drive, jumpered as "slave" the computer
> won't boot.¨
>
>Enough said from me, I hate this damned arguing crap..

Thats why I apologized, and until now exited this thread.

--
Cheers, Gene
message by Gene Heskett are: